At Lakota, the counselor's role is an integral part of the educational experience of each child. Our mission is to serve each student's individual, academic and developmental needs.
School counselors at every Lakota school assist in the development of the whole child through personal, social, educational and career counseling. The foundation for this begins in elementary school and continues throughout the student's school career. Elementary counselors are highly involved in fostering safe, healthy, nurturing environments for children and participate in their school building goals and strategies that support an optimal learning environment.
Counselors help set the tone for developing the knowledge, attitudes and skills children need to become healthy, competent, and confident learners. Teamwork is essential as counselors work with students, staff, parents, and community resources to provide support for students to achieve their goals.
To meet licensure requirements, Ohio School Counselors must obtain a Master’s degree in the field of counseling and a license/certificate from the Ohio Department of Education. School counselors remain current in their field by meeting continuing education requirements.
School guidance curriculum areas include:
- Academic Support, including organizational, study and test-taking skills;
- Goal setting and decision-making;
- Career awareness, exploration and planning;
- Education on understanding self and others;
- Peer relationships, coping strategies and effective social skills;
- Character education;
- Multicultural/diversity awareness;
- Dealing with loss and grief;
- Transition support/adjustment to change; and
- Problem-solving and conflict resolution.
Counselors assist student, staff and parents in a variety of ways.
- Individual counseling
- Group guidance and counseling
- Academic support
- Peer education
- Peer support
- School climate
- Transition to new schools
- Crisis intervention
- Support groups
- Career education
- Classroom guidance activities
- Academic support and addressing underachievement
- At-risk student identification and implementation of interventions to enhance success
- School climate
- Behavioral management plans
- Student data and results
- Student assistance team building
- Classroom speakers
- Communication & Networking
- Academic planning
- Parent education
- Career awareness programs
- One-on-one parent conferencing
- Interpretation of assessment results
- Referral to community agencies and resources
Meet Our Counselor
Mrs. Wiseman has been part of the Rocket Family since 2007! Prior to that, she served as the school counselor at Independence Elementary and Liberty Junior School in Lakota. Her previous experience includes elementary teaching in the Kettering City School District and serving as a middle school counselor there as well.
Mrs. Wiseman enjoys contributing to a positive school climate and building relationships with students, staff, and families. She provides support and opportunities that help students experience success academically, socially, and emotionally!